pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: make errors

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: make errors
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 17:12:32 +0000 (UTC)

"arnuld" <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted
below, on  Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:50:41 +0530:

> I am running UBUNTU Gutsy Gibbon 32 bit on my AMD64 Athlon. I get these
> errors when I try to make pan 0.14.2 stable. Any idea what is going
> wrong ?
>
> I have pan available in repos but that version is too old for me to work
> with.

Perhaps someone else better qualified can help you with the error.
However, while we do try to help with old-pan (0.14.x) where possible,
it's now officially unsupported, with the C++ rewrite, 0.1xx (currently
0.132) being the supported alternative.

If you're just being put-off by the unstable label, don't worry about
it.  0.132 is as stable as 0.14 ever was, and the rewrite uses far less
memory and has better binary and automated multi-server functionality.

Of course, being a rewrite and due to the same automated multi-server
functionality, the GUI is a bit different now and some users,
particularly text users, prefer the old 0.14.x version.  That's
legitimate if no longer officially supported.  However, even then, I'd
suggest trying the last in the series, 0.14.2.91, over the older 0.14.2.

You know... I don't even remember if 0.14.x was able to successfully
compile on gcc 4.x.  It's possible that's the problem.  Have you tried
one of the later gcc 3.x versions?