pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Message Search

From: Jeff Berman
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Message Search
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 11:12:22 -0700 (PDT)

Newswatcher on the Mac does this, too.  I believe it uses the XPAT news server
command.  I've always wished Pan supported this, as it is extremely handy.
Let's say you were looking for a particular chain of binary files.  With Pan is
it is now, you'd have to download all headers from the server and then filter
the display, which could take some time.  With the XPAT capability, you just
select the newsgroup(s), give it your search string, and only those headers are
retrieved from the server.  The server does all the work on its end.  And, of
course, not all usenet servers support XPAT; for example, Cox's does but Power
Usenet doesn't.

Jeff