pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Anyone get pan compiling with gcc 4.3 yet?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Anyone get pan compiling with gcc 4.3 yet?
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 13:08:04 +0000 (UTC)

Daniel Rahn <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 05
Apr 2008 10:20:51 +0200:

> Not everybody recompiles half of the distribution day after day.

What, not everyone wants to run Gentoo as I do?  Why, I'd have never
guessed! =8^)

(OT but... OTOH, after my recent upgrade to dual-core Opteron 290s on my
dual Opteron box, so quad-core, I realized that for most stuff, compile
time is now almost trivial, compared to the other stuff, figuring out
what's new, config, etc, that comes along with installs/upgrades and that
people have to do regardless of whether they use a binary or source based
distribution.  As a result of this personal experience, I'm now convinced
that in a few years, a couple Moore's law upgrade cycles, when this sort
of machine is no longer a monster but in fact rather normal, some source
based distribution, probably /not/ Gentoo as it's too power-user
oriented, but someone, could easily break into the top three distribution
list.  Imagine if you will, with compile time no longer a major factor,
people will choose their distribution based on the usual things they
choose it now on, packages available, support, ease of use in general,
quality and ease of use of automated config tools, etc.  Source based
does have a few advantages as does binary, but for most today the compile
time factor vastly outweighs any other consideration.  When that's no
longer the case other factors will be a greater influence, and while
source based will be stronger in some areas and weaker in others, it'll
be those factors influencing the decision, not source vs binary or
associated compile-time worries directly.  What a difference that could
make!)

> There are people that just _use_ the machine and require a bugfix once
> in a while. So if the distribution is still maintained, I don't see why
> a bugfix in svn should break compatibility.

Agreed.

> And after all, glib changed the API, not PAN. One project ignoring
> unwritten rules (never change the API without changing the major
> release) should not make other projects follow the same path.

Absolutely right!  There are times an API change is useful or necessary,
but other things depend on them (sort of the definition of API, right?)
so it shouldn't be willy-nilly, and when they occur, a clear break,
traditionally indicated by a major version increment, should be part of
the process.  All this trouble with glib for a minor version increment...
Why?  Just... why?  What else is there to say?