pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Weirdness with multipart posts containing images

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Weirdness with multipart posts containing images
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 21:22:43 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 20:57:12 +0000, Jim Henderson wrote:

> Other times, pan prompts me to save the image rather than viewing it; if
> I right-click the message in the header pane, I can select "read
> message" and it'll display properly.

At present that is hard-wired into the code of header-pane.cc:

    if (a) {
      const size_t lines = a->get_line_count();
      const bool is_smallish = lines  <= 5000;
      const bool is_mediumish = lines <= 20000;
      const bool image_subject = has_image_type_in_subject (*a);
      const bool is_pictures_newsgroup =
pane->get_group().to_vie().strstr("pictures")!=0;
      if (is_smallish || image_subject)
        pane->_action_manager.activate_action ("read-selected-article");
      else if (is_mediumish && is_pictures_newsgroup)
        pane->_action_manager.activate_action ("read-selected-article");
      else
        pane->_action_manager.activate_action ("save-articles");
    }

If you can understand the above you'll see that the decision is based on the
type
of attachment, the number of lines in the attachment, and the name of the
newsgroup.
That's quite the temporary hack IMHO, and perhaps someday it will be cleaned up.

Meanwhile you can edit the source code and set the value of is_smallish to suit
your own taste.  Or better yet, submit a patch :o)