pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: sent posts??

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: sent posts??
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 00:00:14 +0000 (UTC)

Beartooth Sciurivore <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Wed, 20 Feb 2008 18:44:05
+0000:

> In Old Pan, I used to be able to get to copies of posts I had sent,
> which were often useful for a variety of purposes. If there's a file of
> them anywhere in New Pan, I have yet to find it.
>
>       Is there? Or is it coming back, when Charles gets to it? Or ...?

It's not scheduled back at this time, no.

There were various problems with the old scheme as it required pan to set
the message-id itself, while most posting clients let the server do it.
(Pan had to set it itself because it stores messages based on ID, so to
store posted messages they had to have an ID already.)  There was also
the issue of being unable to ever see the message as everyone else saw
it, because once it was posted, pan always showed you the local copy,
which in the case of stuff you posted, was the copy it took before it hit
the server.

So Charles just cut that option entirely.  What he put in its place was
the save draft option.  This isn't automatic, but if you use it, you get
a copy as a draft, then can reopen it and send it without losing the
local copy.  (You only lose your draft if you delete the message file pan
saved.)

One possible workaround would be putting something in the mailto line.
Since that causes pan to invoke your mail client, you can then save the
message there, with or without actually sending it.  (You don't have to
mail a copy to yourself, IOW, just save it once it comes up in your mail
client, as you would any other mail message before you send it.)