pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: 'Old' Pan for PCLinuxOS?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: 'Old' Pan for PCLinuxOS?
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:56:01 +0000 (UTC)

Maurice <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Thu, 14 Feb
2008 16:36:34 +0000:

> Am trying out PCLinuxOS 2007, and am quite impressed, but I've not been
> able to find an e.g. RPM package  for old Pan on PCLinuxOS,

What about building it from source?  Old-pan sources are still
available.  You'll probably have to check for and install a few dev
packages, since you're on a binary distribution that presumably splits
them out, and of course the usual dependencies, since you're building
directly, bypassing the usual dependency checks of the distribution's
packaging system, but that shouldn't be too difficult, if you read the
documentation shipped in the tarball.  I know it wasn't back when I was
doing it on Mandrake, before I switched to Gentoo (which being source
based, has rather fewer of these problems, and one can always dredge up
the old version's emerge scripts from the VCS if they aren't in the
distributed tree any longer).

Alternatively, you may be able to find other old RPMs, one of which might
work, using rpmfind or the like.  I used to use them all the time back on
Mandrake, altho it was usually for newer packages rather than older.  Or,
if there's a packager listed on pan.rebelbase for your distribution of
choice, contact them directly and see what they suggest.  They may have
old versions available or be able to build them with little trouble, and
even if not, they're likely to be able to give you a much more accurate
step-by-step specific to your distribution and version, of what you'll
need to install before doing the build yourself.