pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: connecting to leafnode

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: connecting to leafnode
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 06:18:42 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 05:23:38 +0000, Thufir wrote:

> arrakis ~ # telnet localhost 119
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> Connection closed by foreign host.

Does the connection close without allowing you to type anything?  If it
does, then it's a problem with leafnode.  If the port wasn't open, you'd
get a "connection refused" message (as if the daemon wasn't running at
all).

Do you have an xinetd.d directory?  It looks like you've enabled the nntp
service but you haven't told xinetd what daemon to run for it.  What
you're seeing perhaps confirms this, because xinetd is handling the
connection, but when it tries to hand off to the leafnode daemon, you
haven't told it what to do, so it closes the connection immediately.

I've just installed leafnode on my openSUSE 10.2 system here, and the
default installation includes a file in /etc/xinetd.d/ called "leafnode",
with the following lines:

service nntp
{
        disable         = no
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = news
        server          = /usr/sbin/leafnode
}

Once I restarted xinetd, this was the result from the telnet command:

address@hidden xinetd.d]# telnet localhost 119
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
200 Leafnode NNTP Daemon, version 1.11.5 running at localhost (my fqdn:
jshlaptop.dnsdhcp.provo.novell.com)
quit
205 Always happy to serve!
Connection closed by foreign host.

(I typed in the "quit" command to close the connection).

Hope this helps.

Jim