pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: How do I get a header count for all groups?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: How do I get a header count for all groups?
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 06:36:31 +0000 (UTC)

Aniruddha <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 01
Sep 2007 07:36:58 +0200:

> By default pan doesn't display the header count for each group which can
> make it very difficult to tell which groups are worth subscribing. Is is
> possible in pan 1.32 to get a header count for all? groups (just like
> the stable version?) Thanks in advance!

1.32 ?? There is no such pan version.  pan has not yet had a 1.0, so
every version starts with 0.  If you are seeing 1.32, your distribution
has apparently screwed with things pretty drastically (that is, not just
minor patches like install locations, to help it fit in with your
distribution better).  Perhaps you mean 0.132, the newest version, tho
it's also possible you are talking about the very old now 0.13.x series.
Assuming 0.132...

I too miss the total count, unread/total.  I'm not sure why Charles ended
up doing it that way.

However, since sometime after 0.120 I believe (can't be bothered to look
up exactly when), it's now possible to select multiple groups.  You
should therefore be able to select multiple groups and get overviews
(technically incorrectly but more popularly and in pan headers) for all
of them.  As long as you either get all overviews, or get overviews for N
days, that should then give you a decent comparison, assuming large
segments of them haven't been previously marked read, either from
previous visits or due to reading groups from which they've been cross-
posted.  If necessary, you can toggle off the view unread only filter,
select all, and mark unread, so everything shows up as unread once again
(assuming your expiry settings haven't deleted a bunch of them).  Of
course, the marking unread would have to be done a group at a time.
Since pan DOES show unread post numbers, once you have them all marked
unread, you have a count of what's in the group.

Do note, however, that pan now counts posts a bit differently than it
did, so the numbers in multi-part groups will be /dramatically/ lower --
but still useful for comparison against other multi-part groups.  Where a
single message was split into multiple message segments (multiple
separate message-ids), pan only displays (and counts) one, with the
number of individual segments only temporarily shown (in the single
subject line), if not all segments are available.  Once all are
available, the number of segments drops out of the subject line.  This is
of course distinct from someone posting a large binary pre-split into
multiple parts, each of which may be multiple segments.  In that case,
the multiple parts show up separately, but the individual segments of
each again do not.

In addition to avoiding visual clutter, this is one of the ways in which
pan now scales better.  It stores the multiple segment entries together,
avoiding duplication and saving memory and disk space, as well as display
space.  Additionally, pan now pre-threads entries once, saving that to
disk instead of rethreading each time pan is started.  Startup time is
therefore faster too, both because there's less data to load in off disk
(only one entry where there used to be many, as above) and because it
doesn't have to rethread what it had already threaded previously.