pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: clicking on any header-pane bar, only re-sorts header li

From: SciFi
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: clicking on any header-pane bar, only re-sorts header lines by Date only
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 07:42:30 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 00:55:40 +0000, walt wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 00:03:27 +0000, SciFi wrote: ...
>> There's no way pan2 is written to use the native Mac libs, it'd be a
>> totally different critter that way.  ;)
>>
>> Also I do not have the GTK-on-OSX project installed here either, but
>> I'd sure like to participate in testing it, too, but for now it'd only
>> mix things up too much...
>
> I know almost nothing about OSX except that it is branch of BSD, so I
> jump to wrong conclusions -- e.g. it must include X and gtk, etc.  So
> Apple built their own proprietary gui/widget tools, then?  I can
> certainly understand if they didn't want to get stuck with X.  The irony
> is they did (finally) choose to get stuck with Intel's architecture for
> the same reason *nix seems to be stuck with X:  800 pounds is a lot of
> gorilla ;o)

Yes the Mac is known for its proprietary GUI.  ;)

A bit of history is needed to understand things nowadays.  Darwin
is the open source parts of MacOSX, and indeed it almost all
comes from FreeBSD.  Except for the kernel, which is Mach-O (an
MIT invention).  But the loadable binary format now is known as
mach-o, too, not ELF.

Darwin can be booted up by itself, but there's no Mac then, it's
just a text console.  A build of X11 configured for darwin can
then start-up and then things act like you'd expect.  This much
can be freely downloaded & built from the OpenDarwin website.

A full MacOSX system starts up things that make a Mac a Mac.
These parts were mixed with the NeXT system so it can be based on
top of BSD.  Most of this stuff is proprietary & closed source.
:(  However, the same build of X11 (for darwin) can be started as
well.  So that's what we're using to run pan2 etc.  I'm actually
running what will become XFree86 4.7.0 (cvs) -- they're about to
make an official new version coming out RSN, and darwin/osx is an
officially-support platform therein.

A lot of work has gone into gtk/glib/etc. to make it run on
slightly different flavours of X11 including darwin.  That's how
I see it anyway.  ;)

When a configure script sees darwin, I wonder if some projects
are still assuming big-endian (powerpc), and not testing for
i386-darwin separately.  So I can see how some projects may get
mixed up.  Such things are beyond me to fix, we'd need to file
bugreports as usual.

Just a real quick cursory overview, I know I'm leaving out all
kinds of details.  ;)

So if your test machine finds problems similar to mine with the
svn repo for gtk etc., that will cinch it.  ;)