pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Error 441 0

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Error 441 0
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 14:42:20 +0000 (UTC)

Sebastian Menge <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Wed, 27 Jun 2007 09:10:45
+0000:

> Hi
>
> Yesterday, I got a message box with an error sign (-) and the message
> "441 0" when trying to send an article with pan and gmane.

Hmm, my last message actually seemed to go thru, without the 441 0 (tho
it hasn't shown up yet, but I just posted).  Maybe it's fixed!

I did drop by the gmane.discuss group via the web interface (not
subscribed there) yesterday.  Lars had just gotten back from couple weeks
out.  He mentioned they had a massive sequential brute-forcing spam
attack going on against the mail server, located on the same box as news,
apparently.  Forwards were taking half an hour, he said, tho he didn't
mention other posting issues.  He corrected that by checking for a dash
in the mail-names (forwarded to the authors on lists where encrypted
addresses set to gmane are used), immediately rejecting those that didn't
have one.  That quickly dropped the attack to manageable levels and
cleared the backlog.  However, I was still getting 441 0 errors after he
said the backlog was cleared, so maybe there were other issues after that
(I've not yet been back to check if he posted any further updates).