pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: An "alias" feature for group names

From: Benjamin Esham
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: An "alias" feature for group names
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 03:46:12 +0000 (UTC)

* Duncan:

> Benjamin Esham wrote:
>
> > Would it be possible to implement an "alias" feature, so that each group
> > has an alternate name that is shown when "abbreviate group names" is
> > turned on?
>
> Alias might work, but a different solution has been discussed.  I believe
> Charles proposed it so he obviously agrees, but it remains to be
> implemented.  The solution?  When abbreviated names is turned on, expand
> the last TWO sections, not just the last section.

That's a great idea!  I hadn't thought of that.  I think it would solve my
problems quite nicely.

> However, another often requested feature, custom categories [...]  If a
> user arranged categories right, it'd also solve the aliasing issue, altho
> the two-field abbreviated groupname expansion seems to me to be a more
> "natural" solution.

I'm not sure how categories would solve this problem.  I could create a
"pan" category, but it would have only one group in it; likewise with my
Inkscape and GnuPG groups.  At best, I would have a bunch of categories with
only one group each.

If the categories were any more general, they would present the same
ambiguity as before: having the groups x.y.z.users and a.b.c.users in the
category "vector graphics" doesn't make it any easier for me to see what the
groups are.  (Not "at a glance", anyway.)

Cheers,
--
Benjamin D. Esham
address@hidden  |  AIM: bdesham128  |  Jabber: same as e-mail