pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: is gmane eating some of my posts?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: is gmane eating some of my posts?
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 09:12:39 +0000 (UTC)

Thufir <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Tue, 19 Jun 2007 07:12:20
+0000:

> It was relatively minor :)
>
> Just that the gmane folks kept repeating the mantra of "it's in the faq"
> when I was trying to determine the faq's validity.

Circles.  =8^(  Yeah, that gets frustrating, sometimes.  But not everyone
has documentation like the Linux CD (burning or ROM, IDR which) HOWTO I
was rereading* the other day, which cautions about something
(paraphrased) "unless you have a newer kernel, previous to 2.0.x, there
was a bug that caused...."  Let's see.... that's gotta be somewhat before
the turn of the century, 1998 or so, I'd guess...  (That's "newer",
according to the HOWTO.)

Of course, keeping it topical, unlike pan, they /have/ documentation.  I
wonder how the wiki and other doc project are going.  I still need to get
around to doing some serious looking at them and see if I have any
suggestions.

* (I had an issue with the loopback driver and I remembered a mention of
it in the CD-something HOWTOs, so I was back reading them, making sure I
had the mount command line format for mounting images using the loopback
correct.  Turns out the problem was simply that udev doesn't seem to
create loopback devices when the module is loaded, even tho there's an
entry for them in the udev rules.  Creating them by hand worked, and I
then created a script to call to do it so I wouldn't have to lookup the
major device number (block 7, IIRC) the next time.)