pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Where are the articles sent?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Where are the articles sent?
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 13:06:06 +0000 (UTC)

"Luis Angel Fdez. Fdez." <address@hidden>
posted address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 09 Jun
2007 08:52:58 +0200:

>> > In the stable branch articles sent were saved into a folder named
>> > pan.sent, but I can't see something like that in beta versions. So,
>> > is there place where sent articles are saved?
>>
>> No such thing in the new one, fortunately or unfortunately.  This
>> sounds rude but it's not, it's literal.
>
>   OK :(. Can I ask why isn't there such feature?. (I hope I wrote
> that rigthly :))

There were problems with the former implementation, based on the fact
that pan stores messages by message-id, which meant both that it had to
supply a message-id of its own (not let the server create one when
updated), and that the local copy then caused pan to see the message as
downloaded, so it didn't download the same message off the server again.
That in turn meant that if there had been an error in posting, if the
server screwed up the file somehow, a poster using pan would never see
it, because they'd be seeing their own pre-posting local copy.

It's embarrassing when someone else has to tell you your post got chewed
into gibberish by the server, because from your perspective, it's just as
you posted it, because pan's using the pre-posted local copy!

My solution would have been different, keep a local copy separate, with a
special "fake" message-ID used only internally if necessary (and removed
if reposted), so when pan downloaded from the server it looked like any
other message and was downloaded as a different message.  That would have
duplicated the data in some instances, yes, and forced a redownload of
data that in most cases /shouldn't/ be different (save for a couple added
headers) anyway, but it would have solved the problem of keeping a local
pre-posting copy, while at the same time allowing one to fetch a copy as
posted as well.

However, Charles is doing the coding not me, so I'm not going to complain
too much, especially when it hasn't been a big enough deal for me to even
file a bug on (tho I was tempted, when the server dropped that big post I
made and hadn't saved to draft!).

If you want to file a bug on it then, go ahead (tho there may be one
already filed by someone else, you might check for dups).  It'll probably
not be changed until after 1.0 (the next scheduled stable version)
however, but you never know.  If you happen to know C++ (I don't) and
have time to code up a patch, so much the better.  As Charles often says,
patches accepted! =8^)

>> If you want a copy, download it like everyone else...
>> or save it as a draft before sending it.
>
>   Well, I guess save as a draft is a good choice :), but I think I
> will forget to do it very often :(.

Yea, the problem with draft is you gotta remember it. =8^(  However,
after losing a few big posts, you'll probably find it easier; I know I
did. =8^P