pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Pan + XP : .pan2 location and Save dialog questions

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Pan + XP : .pan2 location and Save dialog questions
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 12:45:06 +0000 (UTC)

"Stephen Fekete" <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 09 Jun
2007 11:48:54 +0100:

> Firstly only recently tried Pan and am very impressed. Thanks to all
> involved.

=8^)

> 2 questions:
>
> 1. .pan 2 folder is located at C:\Documents and Settings\User\.pan2
> while I have Pan on a different partition (D). How do I change the
> location of the .pan2 folder so it is also on the D partition.

No problem!  Set the environmental variable PAN_HOME to the directory you
wish to keep your config and data in, and pan will look there for it.
=8^)  (If you need to know how to set an environmental variable, ask
Travis or one of the others, as I jumped off of MS when it became
apparent where they were headed with what they called XP, upgrading from
W98 to Linux instead of what I term eXPrivacy.  I'm glad they pushed me,
as it was a move I've not regretted in the least! =8^)

> 2. I've set the download folder and I want simply to double click an
> item and have it download to this folder not have the 'Pan:Save
> Articles' dialog pop up.

This feature was available in old-pan (0.14.x), but isn't in the rewrite
(0.90 and above).  Various users have requested it, and I think there's
an open bug on it.

Meanwhile, I use a workaround.  Instead of saving one thing at a time, I
select a whole bunch of stuff, and /then/ hit save.  That way, I only get
one dialog for the bunch, instead of one for each item.  That actually
works as good for me as the old way anyway, since I group stuff together
and save it to a subdir of the working dir, then grab another group
selection and save it to another subdir, keeping series of files
(artists, albums, picture series, whatever) sorted separately, each into
its own subdir.  Keeps the download dir from getting too much stuff all
dumped together that way, while still avoiding the popup for each item
problem. =8^)