pan-users

[Pan-users] 0.129 - a few minor issues

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: [Pan-users] 0.129 - a few minor issues
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 17:36:08 +0000 (UTC)

Just built and installed 0.129 and overall I like it a lot - thanks for
all the hard work, Charles!

I've noticed a few odd things, though:

1.  Sometimes when I pull down new messages, I see the new message header
count in the newsgroup list, and if I go through all of the messages that
are unread, Pan tells me that there is still an unread message.  I've
assigned a hotkey to the "read/unread" item in the header view menu, and
if I show all messages and then immediately show the unread messages, the
remaining unread messages show up.  There doesn't seem to be a pattern to
this behaviour, at least not that I can see.

2.  It would be nice if it were possible to set a posting profile on
multiple groups at the same time.

3.  It would also be nice if the group list could be sorted by news
server - I'm still getting used to having all the groups in one list, but
having groups from one news server interspersed with groups from another
news server causes me to have to shift gears more often than I otherwise
would.

4.  I like how the posting profile is determined automatically most of
the time - it would be nice, though, if a posting profile could be used
on multiple servers - I use the same name and fake e-mail address on two
servers, and have two profiles set up for that purpose now.  Not a big
deal now that it's set up, but it took a minute to figure out why I was
receiving an error while trying to post.  Maybe the posting server could
be set to use the server hosting the group (or a primary server hosting
the group if you're subscribed to multiple servers holding the same
group) with the posting profile selection being able to override what Pan
figures out on its own.

5.  It would be helpful if the scores for a thread were calculated and
that value displayed when a thread is not expanded.

6.  I also have to say I preferred in 0.14.x when the entire line in the
header pane was colour coded, rather than just the score column.

Some of this stuff has probably been in Pan for a while - I've been using
0.14.x for the last little while and decided to give the new version a
try again.

Jim