pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: slrn and pan living together in harmony?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: slrn and pan living together in harmony?
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 14:16:00 +0000 (UTC)

Matej Cepl <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Wed, 09 May
2007 23:16:32 +0200:

> is it possible to make slrn live together with pan together, so that any
> messages read with slrn-0.9.8.1pl1-2a.cvs20070430 (used when I need to
> work remotely via ssh) are marked as read for pan-0.128-1 and vice
> versa? I tried to symlink both to change the line in servers.xml to
> point to ~/.newsrc and to symlink ~/.pan2/newsrc-1 to ~/.newsrc, but
> still both slrn and pan overwrote each others changes.
>
> Did I miss anything?

It should be possible.  Charles has designed pan with that in mind, and
pan uses compatible newsrc and scorefile formats.  However, I've not
tried it so I don't know the details at least on the slrn side.

It'll work better if you don't try to run them both at the same time,
since pan at least doesn't real-time save or track changes to those
files, and slrn may not either.  I believe pan saves scorefile changes
immediately, but only reads it when it starts and may re-save when it
exits.  The various server newsrc files are loaded when you load a group
and saved when you exit the group (or exit pan).  Thus, if both are
running at the same time, it'll be difficult or impossible to keep the
updates straight.

Additionally, note that while pan uses newsrc files for tracking groups,
the format apparently lacks a method for tracking multiple servers.  As a
result, pan uses multiple files, one for each server, and doesn't
actually use the name "newsrc" even if you only have one server
configured.  You will therefore need to symlink the appropriate newsrc
files to bridge the differences in how they are named on slrn (whatever
the specific differences may be, again, I don't run slrn).

On the scorefile, I /think/ pan checks the standard ~/.news/Score
location and uses it if it finds one there, before creating its own.
That's based on comments Charles made in discussions over where the file
should be kept.  However, to avoid user confusion for pan-only users, pan
will create the file in its own dir if it doesn't find the generically
located one.  However, I /know/ pan is happy following scorefile
symlinks, as I use them myself, for other reasons.  (I make use of the
PAN_HOME environmental variable to run separate binary and text instances
of pan, and use symlinks to a common instance of several of the config
files, including the scorefile.)