pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: How to remove MIME encoding?

From: Vitaly Samourov
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: How to remove MIME encoding?
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 20:09:30 +0400

Hi,
in addition:
- I can read posts from Fidonet correctly in Pan.
- I can post correctly encoded messages from Thunderbird.

Br
-Vitali

* Duncan <address@hidden> [Mon, 30 Apr 2007 09:46:10 +0000 (UTC)]:
Vitaly Samourov <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted
below,
on  Sun, 29 Apr 2007 19:35:41 +0400:

> how to remove MIME encoding from posts? I need just a plane text, 8
bit
> text encoding

OK, I know I've had too little sleep and too much caffeine the last
few
days, as I'm looking at the above, and having visions of a going out
of
service airplane auction, with a batch of planes with "UPS", "FedEx",
"United States Postal Service", etc, emblazoned on the side, and you
being the guy tasked with removing the logos as they transfer
ownership.
Removing the /plane/ text from postal planes, right? =8^) None of
them
happen to have ads featuring mimes, do they?  Now I'm seeing an old
black
and white movie, featuring Charlie Chaplain, scrubbing logos off of
bi-
planes.

I think I need some sleep before I get too serious trying to answer
this,
but a bit more on what you are trying to do would be helpful.  Maybe
you'll have answered by the time I wake up and can post something
actually /sane/.  Are you trying to decode someone else's posts , or
trying to change how you post?  If it's someone else's posts, are they
MIME encoded binaries or simply MIME encoded text, and encoded using
base64 or quoted-printable? If they are your own posts, are you
trying
to get manually encoded yEnc attachments working, or are folks in a
presumably non-English/International group saying your text posts
don't
look right, or what?

FWIW, NNTP isn't entirely 8-bit clean, so in-the-clear 8-bit doesn't
work
as such.  Thus the idea of encoding, into 7-bit safe /plain/ text for
UUE
or MIME (thus adding about 33% encoding overhead to the size), or
8-bit
but "cooked" a bit to make it work on the NNTP network (adding ~5%
size
overhead), as yEnc or similar encodings.

Anyway, I know a bit about the sending attachment angle (having
created
script that automates attaching files to posts made with pan), so
might
be of help if that's what you are looking at.  I read only English so
don't know much about i18n if that's the angle you are interested in.
Finally, if it's a problem decoding posts that you've gotten, well,
you'll need to be a bit more specific what the problem is or what you
are
trying to do, if I'm to be of help there.