pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: message body

From: Cad Master
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: message body
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 14:47:48 +0200

Duncan wrote:

The one issue you might run into with the cache strategy is that of too small a default cache, depending on just how many of those < 100 line messages you intend on downloading. I certainly run into it with binaries, as the default cache is 10 MB, but that might be fine for your uses on text-only. Anyway, it's possible to change the cache size, but you must edit the config file directly to do so, as the pan GUI doesn't have that setting. pan's settings are stored by default in ~/.pan2/. The cache size setting is in preferences.xml.

I allready set this to 50MB!

2. Install and configure leafnode or another news server locally, point pan at it, and have it do the downloading, so pan doesn't have to.

Good idea, I'll try...

How can I filter messages by number of lines (I don't want download
messages biger than 100 lines)?

You can score by number of lines and set ignored if >100, but unfortunately, all pan currently does with that info is decide whether to display the message or not. It can't auto-download high-scored messages, or auto-delete ignored messages, as used to be possible with old pan. However, the ability is much requested and will be returning later (but not in the form of the rules we had before, which Charles thought was too complicated), after the next stable release, which will be 1.0. There's a lot of people wanting the feature, however, so it shouldn't be too far away.

Of course, since you can't auto-download anyway, it's just as easy to score > 100 lines as ignored, ensure pan isn't displaying ignored, then select-all and download to cache or whatever, as above.

Can I filter messages in leafnode?? When I see messages or better say when I see headers of messages >100 lines I can download them lather :o)

By the way, you may wish to grab a newer version.

I have some problems with compiling stupid gmime! Linux debian 4.0, grrrr...little greens in my computer :o(

Sorry, English is not my native language?

You do quite well, really. Certainly better than I'd do trying to write anything other than English. =8^)

:o)