pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: overnight header updates -- just a dream?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: overnight header updates -- just a dream?
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 10:35:12 +0000 (UTC)

listMAN <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 10 Mar
2007 18:35:43 -0800:

> A "--upd" option to Pan that called do_xover_subscribed_groups() and
> exited when the active job count decremented to zero would really be a
> nice feature. Combined with cron it would shave many unproductive
> minutes off my Pan sessions.

I /think/ I saw some active discussion on that idea on a bug not long
ago.  It was blocked by another bug, as the fix for the one was going to
make the other much easier.  I have /no/ idea of the current status,
however, except that I know it's most definitely a planned feature at
some point, likely closer rather than farther.  It may in fact have been
implemented and I just missed it somehow (but if not, probably after 1.0,
but I've said that before...).

Meanwhile, one must ask why you don't simply run a local news server,
leafnode or the like on *ix.  There's at least one I've read about on
MSWormOS, hamster or some such, but I don't know the details.  It seems
that's what you are after, something that could keep up with things, so
they'd already be local when you went to check your groups.  You could
then point pan at the local news server and go from there.

That's the solution I'd be running under those circumstances.