pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: alternate editor??

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: alternate editor??
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 17:41:54 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 17:00:22 +0000, Beartooth wrote:

> Once the yum repository people at Fedora (or, likely, at livna) started
> carrying updates to Pan, they've been consistently prompt about putting
> up versions of each new release; so I've been away from 0.14.xyz for
> kind of a while now.
>
> I *think* I remember 0.14 and several before it having a way to set an
> alternate editor. Didn't they?
>
> Do the (1.0 - xyz) versions have such a thing? Am I just not finding it?
>
> Or if not, is there hope that 1.xyz will?
>
> I've never liked the default editor, if only because the tab key merely
> gets me lost, instead of letting me indent paragraphs (as, imnsho, every
> writer worth a keyboard ought to do always).
>
> Now a couple of savvier friends (Does 'savvy' *have* a comparative
> form?) are after me to learn a 'real' editor at last -- vi, in their
> opinion, instead of pico/nano and whatever Pan's default is. One of them
> suggests phasing it in, starting with apps other than my usual mailer
> (Pine -- or fight; I hate web mailers, or any GUI mailers).
>
> That makes a lot of sense. And I use Pan heavily, but seldom for matters
> so urgent I can't wait a day or three. So it's the obvious candidate.
> Can I do it?

If you open a new post (hit 'p') you will find the necessary items in
the 'Edit' drop-down menu.  It's a bit hard to find.

The default choices I have includes 'vim' which is 'vi-improved'.  There
seem to be many incarnations of vi available, some much more elaborate
than others.  Any editor with vi in its name will probably be a clone
of vi, e.g. elvis and many others.