pan-users

[Pan-users] New PAN

From: Toby A Inkster
Subject: [Pan-users] New PAN
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 15:59:28 +0000

Hello all,

I've just upgraded to PAN 0.120 from the old 0.14.* line and it is a
massive improvement in usability and speed. I'd tried 0.9x a little while
ago, but couldn't get it to run without crashing all the time.

So, congratulations to Charles and everyone else who's contributed. I've
been using PAN for about six years and was *dismayed* by the hiatus, but
I'm overjoyed to see things rolling again.

Charles, would you be interested in some Mandriva 2006 binaries for the
website? They're nothing special -- just a recompile from the SRPM for the
Mandriva 2007 package you already have listed.

Simple features I'd love to see in PAN 1.1:

        * Add to the Subject/Author/Message-ID search "Cached Bodies".

        * Add to the scoring mechanism a way to score by cross posted
          group (i.e. name of the group, not number of groups).

        * Easier way to set Followup-To header, like there used to be.

        * For "Command" type signatures, would be nice to be able to
          specify a command of:
                /home/me/sig.pl %g
          where '%g' would be the group name(s)

        * 0.14.x had a "fetch bodies too" sub-option below "fetch headers
          from subscribed groups on startup". I'd love to see this return.

        * On the "View" menu, "Show status bar" to match "Show toolbar".

More complex stuff I'd love even further down the line:

        * Ability to "rename" newsgroups. For example, reading this
          mailing list on GMANE, the group is gmane.comp.gnome.apps.pan.user.
          This takes a lot of room to display. Turning on abbreviations,
          it's "g.c.a.p.user" which is still fairly long and quite cryptic --
          the only word that's spelt out in full is "user" which doesn't
          give me much of a clue what the group is about. It would be nice
          to be able to go into the group's preferences and tell PAN to
          display the group name as "PAN" in the group pane.

        * Integrated RSS/Atom feed reader.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Geek of ~ HTML/CSS/Javascript/SQL/Perl/PHP/Python*/Apache/Linux

* = I'm getting there!