pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: why I need a smtp server mentioned for Pan 0.14.90 ?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: why I need a smtp server mentioned for Pan 0.14.90 ?
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 05:39:16 +0000 (UTC)

"Anuj Verma (Kevin)" <address@hidden>
posted address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Thu, 25 Jan 2007
18:12:33 +0000:

> On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 18:05:52 +0000, Anuj Verma (Kevin) wrote:
>
>> are you suggesting present version uses, my default mail client or MUA
>> something ? could it post via newsgroup configured ?
>
> Please note, on my N800 device I have the old series version of Pan
> installed.
>
> While on my desktop I have 0.120, the question above is in regard of 0.120

The current version uses the mail client to send mail (if you reply to
sender rather than group, or simply forward via mail), but sends news
(that is, new posts or followups to the group or other groups) directly via
the server configured as part of the selected posting profile.

BTW, and this may go some distance toward answering Charles' question on
devel as well, there is no "stable" version of new-pan (0.90+) yet.  All
versions have been betas, with 1.0 scheduled as the first "stable"
version.  Originally, it was to have been delivered in August or so, but
every time it seemed really close, another critical bug or two came up and
1.0-stable was delayed until they were fixed and a beta arrived that was
stable enough to be upgraded to 1.0 without further issue.  2-3 betas
later, it started looking stable again, and the next one Charles would
start talking about it being an rc again, only to have yet another
critical bug or two filed again.

Actually, I think we've long since passed what would have been considered
stable in the old version.  The problem is, 1.0 is a big step, and if it
proves to be less than a /really/ stable "stable", as at least one
intended stable version did a couple years ago, there are likely going to
be folks trying it for 1.0, that won't ever try it again if the big 1.0
proves to have a big bug in it that wasn't caught in time.  IMO, it's that
big 1.0 moniker that's as much the problem as anything real, at this point.

... Talking about bugs... the old bug in the wrapping code that used to
hit only when the line started with a > or a space or something else
strange... hit me twice in the above, and hit me at least once earlier
today... when it was just regular words, as far as I could see.  It's
frustrating when it happens with spaces or the like, for those that like
to indent their paragraphs, and when smileys or the like happen to end up
at the beginning of a line, triggering the bug on the next line, but at
least then one can sort of figure it out and know what's happening.  It's
even MORE frustrating when it seems to have been triggered with just a
normal letter at the beginning of the line, or something else entirely is
triggering it!