pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Several issues with version .120

From: Mark Healey
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Several issues with version .120
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 18:14:38 -0800

Duncan wrote:
Mark Healey <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Thu, 18 Jan 2007
21:09:20 -0800:

I just installed FC6 which came with Pan version .120, It seems to be lacking some features form whatever version came with earlier versions of Fedora.

Probably old (like two years, longer since anything serious was done) C
coded pan 0.14.x.  New pan (0.90 was the first public release) is an
entirely new ground-up rewrite in C++.  Yeah, some of the features of
old-pan have yet to make it into new-pan, while others simply haven't been
found to be requested by enough people yet.  Still, the new features and
HUGELY improved memory scaling make new-pan worth the trouble,
particularly for heavy binary group users.

It seems that you can only add filtering (scoring) rules. I can't find out how to name them or modify them later.

There's no pan interface for it, but it's simple enough to just open up
the Score file (by default, ~/.pan2/Score, but ~/news/Score I believe it
is, will be used if it's there) in your favorite text editor and edit the
text! =8^)

Pan's score file format is compatible with slrn, with the exception that
pan's format is case insensitive (there's a way to make it case sensitive
if necessary, but insensitive is usually preferred anyway). Here's the
slrn doc:

http://www.slrn.org/docs/score.txt

Thanks, that helped a lot. Now I just need to figure out to get it to highlight the whole line instead of just the score column part.

--
Mark Healey
address@hidden