pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: An issue (can't remove task), and a question (edit s

From: Geoff
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: An issue (can't remove task), and a question (edit scoring rules)
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 10:12:19 +0000

On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 23:54:01 +0000 (UTC)
Duncan <address@hidden> wrote:

<snip>

> This really has to do with the intricacies of the TCP
> protocol.  I'm on my way to work so can't explain in my
> usual depth, but basically, there are certain rules about
> terminating a "hung" connection.  If pan disobeys those
> rules, it's breaking Internet Protocols.

Many thanks Duncan.

In the past I supplied one or two back traces to help solve
problems.  I am not very expert but if there is anything I
can do here (for example I can use wireshark), let me know.

<snip>

> > The question is this. Is there any way to edit my
> > scoring rules?
>
> Yes.  The Score file is an ordinary text file, generally
> compatible with slrn's file format.  The reference for
> that is

This had me baffled for a while.  I had already looked for
something like a score text file and could not find one. It
turns out that I had a News sub-directory in my home
directory (I don't even recall creating it) and Pan had put
the Score file there.

Something else which does seem a little odd to me is that I
can no longer find a way of setting a universal rule.
Under 14.2 and predecessors, when I found a post with (eg
"Sex movies") in the title I could set such a rule to
govern all subscribed groups. It seems that now I have to
do it relative to the group in which the post is found and
if I use the most universal option ("Group Name Doesn't
Contain"), then that group will be omitted even though this
is where the offending post was first found. Is this
deliberate? Am I missing something?

Geoff

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html