pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Random order in "Cache Article" (0.120)

From: Per Hedeland
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Random order in "Cache Article" (0.120)
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 09:29:39 +0100 (CET)

Darren Albers <address@hidden> wrote:

>Duncan wrote:
>> Per Hedeland <address@hidden> posted
>> address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sun,
>> 07 Jan 2007 16:08:50 +0100:
>>

>>> There was some discussion/complaints/bug-reporting about how new-pan saved
>>> articles in random order rather than first-to-last (or last-to-first:-). I
>>> didn't follow it too closely, but it seems to be fixed now - however the
>>> "Cache Article" function still processes articles in random order, which I
>>> personally find much more annoying.
>>>

>>> Anyway, I filed a bug with patch for this, #393912 - hopefully it can
>>> sneak in before 1.0 since it's quite straightforward.
>>>

>> Cool!  I can sure use that here, too, as the bug has been irritating me,
>> but I was living with it as it seemed I must be the only one downloading
>> to cache since no one else seemed to be complaining.
>>
>> Very glad to actually have a patch.  Maybe it'll be integrated now (altho
>> I'd not hold up 1.0 for this, but if something else was going in before
>> 1.0 and there was going to be another beta/rc, I'd want it in).
>>

>Same here!  I hope it makes it for release but if it doesn't I can
>always patch my local package.  Thanks Per!

Thanks for the thanks - unfortunately, saying that it was
"straightforward" was of course guaranteed to make it turn out to be
wrong:-), though at least it didn't make things worse than before. I've
added a very small patch to be applied on top of the previous one to the
bug report, and now I really think it's right... (no, wait, I never said
that!:-). (Btw, I'm not sure my assumption about sorting by age by
default is completely correct, b/c the original patch definitely worked
with "small" selections that had the header pane sorted by article
*size* just for testing.)

--Per