pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan Docs 070101

From: Rhialto
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Pan Docs 070101
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 14:11:49 +0100

On Sun 07 Jan 2007 at 12:46:52 +0000, Mike wrote:
> On Sunday 07 Jan 2007 11:18, Duncan wrote:
>
> > either the Internet (the universal one), or the internet (as for instance
> > the one linking the individual building networks on a campus).
>
> Wouldn't the latter be an intRAnet, as opposed to the intERnet? That's
> certainly how we referred to our IP based network when I worked for the NHS.

NONONONO! That word ("intranet") does not exist! It is a stupid
invention of people who don't know the difference between "the Internet"
and an "internet". I hate the stupid word. Really.

As I remember it, there is a more or less official document about this,
but I haven't found it again... The Internet Protocol
was invented to connect together local networks of different kinds
(ethernet, Xerox PUP, OSI networks, XNS, other other proprietary network
architectures), hence the "inter" part of "internet". The big global
internet would then be "the" Internet.

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catenet .

-Olaf.
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl        -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.