pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Cannot access message body

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Cannot access message body
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 21:34:21 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 14:29:40 +0000, Alan Secker wrote:

> I'm using pan version 0.14.2.91 and have been for a while.
> Today for no reason that I can fathom, I could not display the bodies on
> any messages, only the headers. I'm not familiar with settings so I may
> have knocked something out unwittingly but I cannot see what that might
> be.

Hi Alan,

First, I'll beat Duncan to the punch and ask that you turn off the html
when posting here.  Thanks.

I'm wondering if you recently upgraded some other part of your system
which might have affected pan in some way.  I find it useful to start
a misbehaving application on a command line because you may see error
messages that go unseen when you just click an icon.

When you click on an article in the header pane do you see anything
happen in the progress bar at the bottom, to show that the body is
being fetched from the server?

I find a packet sniffer (like ngrep and many others) to be very useful
when trying to puzzle out such problems.  The first thing I would want
to know is whether it's a server problem, a pan problem or an OS problem.

Most of the time it's really helpful to know what the network traffic
is doing in order to rule out one thing at a time.

Others may have better ideas to offer.