pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: new pan getting group list "forever"

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: new pan getting group list "forever"
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 07:00:33 +0000 (UTC)

Bruce Bowler <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon, 11
Dec 2006 19:01:10 -0500:

>> As others have said, just post if you need help upgrading.  What
>> distribution, and where you are getting it would be useful info if you
>> do.
>
> It's not a question of "not being able to" (not that you suggested it was
> :-).  It's just that it's soooo much easier with RPMs.  I've got lots of
> other packages that I compile from scratch, but every upgrade of some of
> those turn into nightmares.
>
> Anyway, it finally finished and I'm "back in business".

Wow!  I didn't realize the rpm crowd was that far behind, but I just
checked rebelbase, and sure enough. =8^(

FWIW, that was one of the things that I finally started compiling from
source back on Mandrake, too, because I didn't like waiting for the rpms.
Still, I don't think it was /that/ far behind back then.  There was
usually either a Mandrake or Rawhide rpm up within a week to 10 days.
Now, the newest appears to be 0.117 (SuSE).

I'm a Gentoo user now, and most of the time, even if they don't have an
ebuild immediately, all one has to do is copy the old one to the new name,
digest, and go.  The only time that doesn't work is when the dependencies
change, and you have to figure out what to add to the ebuild to get it to
work (or just fudge it by merging that separately).

Of course, now, I'm even more bleeding edge than that, as I'm running a
dynamic CVS ebuild, that gets freshly updated every time I remerge.  There
are several fixes already in CVS post 0.119, but they are rather minor
compared to the stuff previous to 0.118 especially.  Things are very
obviously calming down now in preparation for 1.0-stable.