pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: VDQ 0.119 : forward -- how??

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: VDQ 0.119 : forward -- how??
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 09:53:34 +0000 (UTC)

Beartooth <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sun, 10 Dec 2006 21:43:27
+0000:

> On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 21:06:58 +0000, Duncan wrote:
>
>> There doesn't have to be a direct forward option.  You just use followup
>> (or reply to author if you prefer), and change the content of the
>> newsgroups and mailto header boxes as desired, in this case deleting the
>> existing content from both, and putting whatever address you are forwarding
>> to in the mailto header box.
>
> I had tried that; tried it again. It wanted to open a terminal and run
> Pine (the only mailer I consider worth an electron) -- with six or eight
> lines of gibberish in the To: field, yet.
>
> Scrubbed that. Edited preferences -- it was taking Pine from Gnome. All I
> could find to do was tell it Custom, and them leave the app blank. Tried
> again. It did nothing, afaict.
>
> I keep pine open all the time -- on a remote machine, under ssh.
>
> Why can't it just mail it off transparently, using some mailer I don't
> have to see, and closing that afterward? It used to.
>
> I'm sorry, but this seems to me decidedly what the Germans call a
> Verschlimmbesserung -- lousing something up by trying to fix what
> ain't broke.
>
> Any hope of getting the old way back? Or is there a workaround??

I believe the idea is to have pan be good at what it does, news, and avoid
recoding the mail handling.  Thus, pan simply hands off the mail to the
mail client as you've configured it, using the standard mailto: protocol
as normally invoked by browsers and the like.

The various desktop environments all have a configuration option for
preferred mail client, and a standard method to invoke it as would a
browser when a mailto: link is clicked.  That's what pan is using.  If
that pine instance wasn't working, it would be either because it doesn't
understand the mailto: protocol, or because you had it misconfigured
wherever you configured it in GNOME.

Since pan invokes using the mailto: protocol, you need a mail client that
understands that, in ordered to use that feature.  If it's properly
configured in your desktop environment of choice (and pan lists that
environment as one of its choices), you can simply select that.
Alternatively, you can setup a custom mailer, but it must be something
that understand the mailto: protocol if you wish it to work correctly.

As you stated, it should be possible to setup a script to handle it for
the advanced folks for whom a standard mailto: handoff isn't satisfactory,
but other than that, all you need is a client that understands standard
mailto handling.  Configure that as your choice, either directly, or thru
your desktop environment config and then choose that, and you should be
good to go.

Unfortunately, setting up to invoke pine over that ssh connection would
qualify as one of those "advanced user scripted" scenarios.

Of course, the other alternative is simply the old select/paste or
select/copy/paste routine.  That still works, tho it's a bit more manual
than many are accustomed to these days.