pan-users

[Pan-users] Strategies for downloading a post-in-progress?

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Strategies for downloading a post-in-progress?
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 21:50:30 +0000 (UTC)

I've tried to become an expert in the NNTP protocol, honest!  But
every time I read through the RFC's I wind up in the same position:
chin-on-chest, snoring (quietly, of course).

So --> today I was downloading a large multi-part binary post, and
wound up with about six incomplete RAR's.  I fussed and fiddled,
and finally I figured out that I was downloading a post which my
server was still actively receiving, even though the posting date
was a full 25 hours ago.  All I had to do was tell pan to re-fetch
those incomplete RAR's and everything was perfect.

This is Not Good:  I pay for every byte I download, so I don't want
to download the same files more than once.

I've already admitted that I can't seem to make it through all of
the RFC's dealing with NNTP, so I plead ignorance-with-an-excuse:

I would guess that the authors of NNTP never anticipated that one
post might take more that 24 hours to make (or download).  So it
seems reasonable to propose an NNTP-extension which would let the
posting client tell the receiving server that the post is finished
and therefore safe to release to the world for downloading.

Any thoughts?  Does NNTP already include such a feature?