pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Post-to server distinct from posted-to newsgroup?

From: Jack Cuyler
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Post-to server distinct from posted-to newsgroup?
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 23:45:42 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 17:13:49 +0000, Wil Cooley wrote:

> For example, I'm reading this through GMane as
> gmane.comp.gnome.apps.pan.user and to post to it, I have to be sure I've
> selected my GMane posting profile so the post goes to news.gmane.org.  For
> USENET groups, comp.lang.c for example, I need to post to my ISP's news
> server.  There will never be a case, AFAICT, where I would post to GMane
> groups through my ISP's server or vice versa.

What if you added a pay server to the mix, one that carries most of the
groups your ISP carries, but not all, and some that your ISP doesn't?
Currently, pan will get articles from both the pay server and your ISP,
giving preference according to how you rank them, making the article list
as complete as possible.  To which server should pan post when a group is
carried by multiple servers?

> Yes, I know I can manually edit preferences for each group to select the
> posting profile for each group, but that seems backwards--NOT posting
> through the originating server should be a special case.
>
> I have a few ideas of how this could be resolved:
>
>   o Have a special selection in the posting profile under "Post Articles
>   via" for "Default for Group" and make that the default.  99% of people
>   will not need to change it and one posting profile would be all that
>   is necessary, even for multiple groups.

Unless specified by group preferences, the first posting profile in one's
list will be used.  They are listed alpha-numerically so I number to keep
my preferred "default" at the top.

>   o Do away with the "Post Articles via" entirely and only post through
>   the server that carries the posted-to group.

I disagree with this one.  There may be some groups to which one would like
to post via one's ISP's server and others via a pay server.  Eliminating
this would be taking away a big feature.

>   o Associate each group only with posting profiles where the server is
>   listed as the "Post Articles via".

I could go along with that one, if you're saying limit the choices in
the From drop-down to profiles that are associated with a server that
contains that group.

--
Cheers,
Jack

I AM NOT AUTHORIZED TO FIRE SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS
I AM NOT AUTHORIZED TO FIRE SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS
I AM NOT AUTHORIZED TO FIRE SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS
I AM NOT AUTHORIZED TO FIRE SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS

        Bart Simpson on chalkboard in episode 1F09