pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: ANNOUNCE: pan-attach and pan-attach-kd, version 0.0.2006

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: ANNOUNCE: pan-attach and pan-attach-kd, version 0.0.2006.10.07.0
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 07:52:57 +0000 (UTC)

Rhialto <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Tue, 24 Oct 2006
01:20:42 +0200:

> IF the time is precise to the nanosecond, which you can't count on.  You
> should count on no better than 1-second resolution, %N is probably some
> Linux extension (repeat after me: All the world is NOT Linux - funny how
> that used to be in the past All the world is NOT a VAX and now I have a
> VAX running Ultrix and NetBSD). But if you combine the process id ($$)
> with second-resolution time, you should be safe.

Good point.  At present, I have #!/bin/bash at the top of the script,
simply because that's what I know enough about to work with and can test.
If someone with a bit of generic borne shell knowledge and non-bash
implementations to test with wants to try it and shoot me any required
patches, I'll definitely consider them.  I just don't have anything other
than bash to test with and know there are differences but haven't found
them worth tracking as I'm still actively learning bash, so chose the bash
implementation not because I wanted to exclude others or didn't care, but
simply because that's what I know and can test so that's what's safe to
use as the shebang.