pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: ubuntu 0.117 binaries

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: ubuntu 0.117 binaries
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 01:17:58 +0000 (UTC)

"Eric Waguespack" <address@hidden>
posted address@hidden,
excerpted below, on  Fri, 20 Oct 2006 18:36:11 -0500:

> I have compiled plenty... but I guess i avoided it in this instance because
> of a few fuzzy bits:
>
> if you have a deb installed for a package, should you uninstall it before
> installing from source?
> if you don't will your dpkg package inventory be hosed?
> how do you uninstall source? make uninstall? if so, does that mean you have
> to retain the source in order to uninstall it?

I'd uninstall before installing from source, yes.  It shouldn't hose
anything up (besides the record for pan, but that's the point) if you
don't; just what the system thinks is installed won't be, and I prefer to
keep it consistent.

Uninstalling source is an interesting question.  Some source tarballs come
with a make uninstall step, but it's not common yet.  For pan, however, it
shouldn't be a big issue as pretty much the only thing installed is the
executable itself, some icons, a .desktop menu entry file, and perhaps a
few files in doc/pan-<version>/. Delete those and you've pretty much
deleted the entire thing. Because nothing installed has version numbers in
the filename (except for the dir for the docs), installing a new
package version over top of the source version should get everything back
in shape (provided you installed to the same path when you used source, I
think it defaults to /usr/local/ and the deb probably installs to /usr/).

If you install the CVS version things are a bit different, as you get some
l10n stuff installed.  However, you're talking about the tarballed
versions not CVS so I'd not worry about that.

The packages you'd have to worry about would be stuff like shared object
library packages, which are normally versioned in the filename itself, so
installing a new version won't overwrite the old one.  Having multiple
lib versions installed can be an issue when the wrong ones get used at
times, as well, tho Linux is generally much saner about that than say
MSWormOS with its dll versioning hell.