pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Request: Better handling on failing servers

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Request: Better handling on failing servers
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 13:03:04 +0000 (UTC)

Mario J. Barchéin Molina <address@hidden>
posted address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Fri,
13 Oct 2006 11:03:56 +0000:

> I am using Pan for large binary downloads and I have found a very
> annoying behaviour when working with multiple servers. Let me explain:
>
> Some servers I use offer a free account but with daily download limits,
> and some others are not 100% time up. When I am downloading stuff from
> some server and it fails (or just rejects my connection due to daily
> limit reached) pan shows an error window reporting that was "Unable to
> connect to server XXXXX" and it automatically goes to disconnected mode
> for all servers, making the use of alternative servers impossible.
>
> I would like Pan to be "wiser" in this situations and just go and use
> other servers silently. Maybe it would be a good idea to mark the
> failing servers internally in some way just to not try to connect to
> them in some amount of time but never stop the queue when there are
> alternative servers to download stuff from.

The one big piece of info missing is what pan version you are using.  I
checked your headers, to see if you were posting via gmane using pan, but
it appears you were using them but using their web interface, so that
still doesn't help (altho it was nice to see Konqueror/KHTML 3.5.5 in
there =8^).

If you are using old-pan, <0.90, that's a dead branch, as pan has been
rewritten in C++ and that's what's currently under development.  No
further development or bug fixes are anticipated.

If new-pan and one of the last couple weeks worth (0.115 or 0.116), please
check the bugs and file one if you don't see one on the pre-1.0 betas, as
we want to get it fixed before 1.0 if possible and that's coming up pretty
fast. (There was a similar report back several versions ago, maybe 0.111
or so, that may or may not have been bugged.  I don't know the status on
it as I fortunately don't have to worry about such errors on my regular
servers very often. It may or may not have been fixed.)