pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: ANNOUNCE: pan-attach and pan-attach-kd, version 0.0.

From: Dave
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: ANNOUNCE: pan-attach and pan-attach-kd, version 0.0.2006.10.07.0
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 01:57:57 +0100

On Tuesday 10 October 2006 10:02, Duncan wrote:
> The reason it isn't a choice for pan-attach(-kd) is due to the way the
> standards are implemented.  It's a full framework, defining a specific
> header (MIME-Version: 1.0) that must appear in any MIME compliant message,
> with additional headers defining the number of parts and how they are
> layed out in the message, and each part containing its own set of
> part-headers.  In ordered to properly do MIME, therefore, the MIME encoder
> must have control of the entire post, in ordered to define all the headers
> appropriately.  pan only forwards the message body to the defined external
> editor, and even if it forwarded the entire message at that point, there's
> no guarantee that further changes wouldn't be made after pan got the
> message back, therefore potentially invalidating some of the headers
> declared by the external editor.  Put directly, the only way to properly
> do MIME is to have pan do it all.  Since that's not possible at my
> skillset level and therefore the level that pan-attach(-kd) is implemented
> in, pan-attach can't properly do mime and therefore doesn't have that
> choice.

I've done a little testing with mime/base64 and as you say, it's a
non-starter.

Manually adding the headers doesn't work as pan over rides the Content-Type &
Content-Transfer-Encoding headers although the MIME-Version: 1.0 header
survives.

It looks like my only option is either use the script as-is for uue and lock
out knode and/or thunderbird users (Thunderbird, at least,  can "save as"
then view) or switch to using knode for that one newsgroup.

--
Dave