pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: 0.115 compile notes and feature request

From: Douglas Bollinger
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: 0.115 compile notes and feature request
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 17:39:46 -0400

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 09:47:54 +0000 (UTC)
"Duncan" <address@hidden> wrote:

<snip>
> However, there's apparently a bug in gcc 3.4.x in regard to something pan
> does, and it's now an older compiler, with most distributions having
> already moved to gcc 4.x (Gentoo, which I use, is now stable on 4.1.1 on
> most archs including x86 and amd64), so it shouldn't be a huge issue.  As
> well, a lot of distributions will have binaries available once 1.0 comes
> out, if they don't already, so fewer will be compiling.
<snip>

Well, I use Gentoo as well, Duncan, but I'm master of my box and still use the
old gcc:

address@hidden ~ $ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.4.6 (Gentoo 3.4.6-r1, ssp-3.4.5-1.0, pie-8.7.9)

I just build Pan 0.115 straight from the tarball without any problems using
the regular defaults and the resultant binary works perfectly fine.

Perhaps this is the problem while trying to build Pan on a 512M box:

0292 doug      25   0  601m 591m 5060 R   99 29.2   1:01.46 0 cc1plus

It's not a gcc or Pan bug, you just need some more RAM or grab binaries from
someone that does.

--
Criticism comes easier than craftsmanship.
                -- Zeuxis