pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: 0.115 compile notes and feature request

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: 0.115 compile notes and feature request
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 09:47:54 +0000 (UTC)

"Peter B. Steiger" <address@hidden>
posted address@hidden,
excerpted below, on  Sun, 01 Oct 2006 23:45:19 -0600:

> I was having a heck of a time building with gcc 3.4.6 in 512MB; it kept
> hanging on scorefile-test until I looked through the archives and found
> a suggestion to remove -O2 from my CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS, and that was the
> trick.  Y'all might want to put that in the FAQ or INSTALL or something.

Putting it in the INSTALL would probably be a good thing.  I'm not sure we
have a FAQ yet.

However, there's apparently a bug in gcc 3.4.x in regard to something pan
does, and it's now an older compiler, with most distributions having
already moved to gcc 4.x (Gentoo, which I use, is now stable on 4.1.1 on
most archs including x86 and amd64), so it shouldn't be a huge issue.  As
well, a lot of distributions will have binaries available once 1.0 comes
out, if they don't already, so fewer will be compiling.

That said, it *IS* a huge issue for anyone that IS using gcc 3.4.x, and
that's exactly the sort of thing that should go in the INSTALL or README
files (I'm saying README, since INSTALL is often a generic file produced
by the autoconf/automake system), very good point there. I'd suggest filing
a bug suggesting it be mentioned in such a file.