pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Compile error on FreeBSD, libintl.h not found

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Compile error on FreeBSD, libintl.h not found
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 12:17:41 -0500

Hans Nieser wrote:

As the subject says, while trying to compile pan-0.110 on FreeBSD
(6.1-RELEASE) I enountered a build error:

In file included from gnksa.cc:39:
/usr/local/include/glib-2.0/glib/gi18n.h:23:21: libintl.h: No such file or
directory
gnksa.cc: In static member function `static std::string
pan::GNKSA::generate_message_id_from_email_address(const pan::StringView&)':
gnksa.cc:879: error: `gettext' undeclared (first use this function)
gnksa.cc:879: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for
each function it appears in.)

I have gettext installed, and its header files are located at
/usr/local/share/gettext/ and /usr/local/share/gettext/intl/ although
libintl.h specifially appears to be located at /usr/local/include/libintl.h

Looking at the error I suppose maybe this is a problem with glib, though
on the other hand no other gnome application that uses gettext has failed
to build, so I'm a bit puzzled by it.

Ok it turns out that /usr/local/include isn't the usual location for
libintl.h. I managed to compile Pan by just exporting CFLAGS="
-I/usr/local/include" before invoking make and it seems to be working fine =]

IIRC this has been a known problem on bsd for some time now --
their glib pkg-config file omits -I/usr/local/include from CPPFLAGS.
The last time I looked their attitude on this was that we shouldn't
be using pkg-config anyway.  Bastards. ;)