pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Pan v0.14.2.91 crashing X hard (black screen)/messing up

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Pan v0.14.2.91 crashing X hard (black screen)/messing up NVIDIA card badly...
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 01:30:55 +0000 (UTC)

Csv4Me2 <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sun, 27 Aug 2006
02:10:53 +0200:

> As long as the current versions don't load the startrek group succesfully i
> won't change versions. All new versions fail that simple test. The max size
> of  a succesfull group download seem to depend solely on the available amount
> of system RAM. As soon as pan (0.1xx) causes the system to swap it slows down
> horrendously and never (?) finishes. This is IMHO not a bug but a
> design/implementation limitation.
> Adding to, removing from and sorting databases that are way larger than the
> amount of core memory is a challenge! But it can be done and has been done.
> See the sort program. Perhaps a v1.x issue ?

I wonder if you are running into the 0.109 bug I just ran into (see the
tasklist optimization thread for the gory details).  It's not a memory
issue (I've 8 gig memory here, and seldom fill it all up with cache let
alone start flushing to swap) but a CPU bottleneck. Darren says it has been
bugged and patched for 0.110.  I hope so.  I'm about ready to go to sleep
now, but if 0.110 isn't out tomorrow, I'll likely go try to find the bug
and apply the patch and rebuild 0.109, as pan's behavior trying to queue
tens of thousands of small posts at a time with 0.109 is beyond
ridiculous, at least here.