pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Mangled address when sending mail

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Mangled address when sending mail
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 16:32:36 +0000 (UTC)

Beartooth <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Fri, 25
Aug 2006 11:41:22 -0400:

> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:03:03 +0000, Duncan wrote:
>
>> I'd suggest you start a new thread.  Include the infiniteink info you
>> mentioned here, and I'll try to take a look.  Please also include the
>> date/time info for the posts, and message-id headers too (an estimate of
>> how many messages back it'll be, 100, 1000, 10000, order of magnitude
>> anyway, would be useful as well).
>
> Somewhere in the middle there, I get lost. I can revise my last post a
> little, and put it up afresh, certainly. And it should be easy enough to
> check the dates & times, and add those. But once you start talking
> headers, you get beyond my competence.

Message-id is the header (try toggle view all headers to see it and
others, "h" is the default hotkey) that uniquely identifies a single
message.  Both mail and news depend on there never being another
message with the same message-id, or if a client or server sees them both
at the same time, the one will very likely replace the other. =8^(

The message-id of your post that I'm now replying to is shown in the
attribution line at the top of this reply, along with your name and the
date.  Some news clients make it clickable just like a web link, and then
download and display that message if it's available on the server to do
so.  That's why I include it.  (It'd be nice for pan to manage clickable
message-ids, eventually. =8^)

The reason I asked for that is that not only should it uniquely identify
the message, so there's no possible confusion as to which message you are
referring to, but new-pan can actually download a message given its
message-id -- that's actually how pan tracks its tasklist now, as a bunch
of messages identified by message-id that it's supposed to download.
Therefore, given that info and a server it can be found on (gmane), I can
download that specific message without having to subscribe to the group
and all that.  (At least that's the way it's supposed to work, I haven't
actually tried it that way yet.)

It does look like I screwed up a bit, however, so I don't blame you for
getting lost there.  At the beginning of the parentheses, I /should/ have
had an "and", as in "(and an estimate of how many messages back..."  IOW,
the estimate is something entirely different than the message-id, while
the way I posted, it looks like it /is/ the message-id. =8^(

> Otoh, all the experience I've had -- of whatever bug it is -- comprises
> those infiniteink posts. It was new and strange to me then, and has not
> recurred. (Note that when the problem arose, N McG's advice was to sign up
> for her email list and post that way, *instead* of via gmane. I did. So my
> posts since the one or two days of problems have been innocent of Pan till
> they arrive on gmane for it to read; composing in Pan no longer happens in
> that group -- nor has the bug surfaced in any other, ever to this good
> day. It *may* be ephemeral.)

In /that/ case... I'd probably not worry about it.  As I have said
previously, 0.14.x pan is now a dead-end, and any bugs in it are likely to
stay there, unfixed forever, because the new-pan is a different code-base.
Thus, if it's an immediate problem or might be something in your config,
it may be worth looking into, but as something you've already dealt with a
different way, it's probably not, as bugs in that pan aren't likely to be
fixed anyway.