pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Debugging Pan with gdb

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Debugging Pan with gdb
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:21:44 +0000 (UTC)

"walt" <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Tue, 22 Aug 2006 23:18:22
+0000:

> I suspect there is a gentoo way to add the -g flag for just
> one emerge (without changing the system-wide default), but I
> don't know what it is. Duncan?

Yes.  Environment overrides make.conf settings, so

# source make.conf to get its settings first
. /etc/make.conf
export CFLAGS="$CFLAGS <newflag>"
emerge <whatever>
unset CFLAGS

should work.

Of course, if you want to change the CFLAGS entirely, a simple

CFLAGS="<whatever>" emerge <whatever>

will work.  However, that sets CFLAGS absolutely, not adding it to the
current CFLAGS, so it's probably not what is wanted in this case.

There has been talk for some time of adding packages.cflags file support
to portage, so it always compiles specific packages with specific cflags,
much as the existing package.* support works for use/mask/unmask, but it
hasn't been done directly.

It can however already be done indirectly, using /etc/portage/bashrc
support, sourcing a script of your own creation that changes CFLAGS based
on the package being merged or whatever other conditions you wish.  In
fact, there are bashrc solutions floating around out there adding this and
a few other similar features as well.  I've personally not found the lack
of those features enough of a problem to try the solutions myself, but
I've seen them posted a few times.