pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: [OT] Gmime

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: [OT] Gmime
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 13:38:00 +0300

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 14:47:07 +0000, Duncan wrote:

>> You certainly mean GNU/Linux here, not the Linux kernel.  Besides this
>> your explanation is good, thanks.
>
> But simply "Linux" in the common parlance.

That "common parlance" is harmful for the Free Software Movement and
we're willing to change it.

> Otherwise, to be fair, given KDE as the graphical desktop
> environment, but using GTK for pan, I'd certainly have to say
> pan/GTK/KDE/x.org/GNU/Linux, to cover
> app/toolkit/DE/graphical-platform/OS-utils/kernel, application stack
> order from app to kernel.

If you feel the need to credit all those developers, please say so.
Saying only "Linux" gives credit only to the Linux developers, which
is not fair.  What's more important is that people think that this is
a system that was developed for students' amusement; they can hardly
figure out the software freedom issues that we always underline.

> I agree with Stallman in most cases, even giving him my sig-quote,
> but this isn't one of them.

I think that you would agree with
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html.

--