pan-users

[Pan-users] ! wants to D/L half-Million headers back to 2002 !

From: crglur
Subject: [Pan-users] ! wants to D/L half-Million headers back to 2002 !
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 08:56:39 +0200 (SAST)

It's bad enough that the whole list of newsGroups needs to be fetched
[as with many NewsReaders] before pan can be tested.

My light-weight NewsReaders [of Oberon S3 but which doesn't do
threading & filtering] like lynx can do:
<get the last N headers of arbitrary Group>
<get the last unread N headers of arbitrary Group>
   for this it just keeps a file of: GroupName, list of articles read.
<get article number # - which number was extrated from the header list.

I understand that when pan subscribes a new group it show as a default:
 'get the latest 150 headers of this group', which default can be changed.

This seems a good way to 'do it' - if it worked.

On several of my groups pan is trying to download over 500'000
headers. And on one group which I aborted the header D/L,
only 2002 headers are present.

What am I doing wrong ?

== Chris Glur.

======== script to mudge Tx-URL & post==
System.CopyFiles  Oberon.TextPan => Oberon.Text ~
Mail.Send  X1 ~