pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Text styles and emoticon display

From: Brad Rogers
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Text styles and emoticon display
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 10:08:45 +0100

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 01:33:37 -0500 (CDT)
"Charles Kerr" <address@hidden> wrote:

Hello Charles,

> > I've just noticed that when displaying /italics/ in the Pan betas,
> > they are emboldened, even if bold is not set.
> Looks okay on this end.
> What group + article should I look at to reproduce this?

Forget this one.  As suggested by Christian, it's a problem with my
font settings.  Monospace shows italics as bold italics, here.  When I
switch to a proportional font, everything's okay.  Should have checked
first.  Sorry for the noise.

> > Also, the *, / or _ chars are
> > still displayed as well as the relevant style.
> That's intentional.  I think most people reading usenet
> consider */_ markup to be decorational, not true markup.

Okay, fair enough.  I used to use Thor on the Amiga where toggling text
styles hid the markup.  Given that, as you say, it can cause real
problems when trying to write command output, of pathnames, etc, I'm
happy to live with it.

> > Secondly, smilies with "noses" don't get displayed as icons when
> > that option is set.  For example, :) gets converted, but :-)
> Hm, Yeah.  There are just too many different smilies out there --
> I don't want the body pane to look like gaim. :)

:-)

Again, fair point.  You have to draw the line somewhere.

> Still, ":-)" is really common.  I'll put it in 0.103.

Many thanks.

Also, I noticed yesterday that when a message gets an icon inserted
instead of the smiley, doing a followup strips the smiley too.  Whilst
this one is no biggy either, I thought I'd mention it.

Once again, than you Charles, for your hard work.  Thanks also to
Duncan and Christian for their thoughts and solutions WRT to these
problems.

--
 Regards  _

Every single one of us