pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: crash, debug build, etc.

From: David Shochat
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: crash, debug build, etc.
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 07:30:00 -0400

Duncan wrote:
David Shochat <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon, 03 Jul 2006
19:24:23 -0400:

Since I need to report a crash, I need to get a gdb stack trace. That
means I need to compile with debug (with symbols). How do I do that?

>From the gcc manpage:

-g  Produce debugging information in the operating system's native format
(stabs, COFF, XCOFF, or DWARF 2).  GDB can work with this debugging
information.

So add -g to your CFLAGS.  (Set CFLAGS="-g" plus whatever other CFLAGS you
use before compiling.)  Note that various optimizations can make debugging
difficult, of course.  See the manpage for additional -g<otherstuff> flags.

Finally (and in general), note that symbols may be stripped by the
build/make script. I'm not sure if pan's does or not, but at the
./configure step, you can try ./configure --help and see what it spits
out.  It's  likely you can add a debug option there that will take care of
the gcc -g as well as any stripping.

Actually, after doing a straight configure, I saw that CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS were both set to:
-g -O2
so I doubt that it strips the symbols (what would be the point then of the -g?). I get the same crash whether I compile pan myself or use the pre-built SUSE 10.1 pan 0.99 binary (pointed to from the pan web site). I do NOT get the crash when I use a different news server. So it is something in the newsgroup list of this particular server (newsgroups.comcast.net, actually giganews) which is triggering the bug. Now if only I could figure out what the offending group name is, maybe I could come up with a patch, or at least a useful bug report.
-- David