pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: ANN: Pan 0.101 "A pulse of dying power in a clenchin

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: ANN: Pan 0.101 "A pulse of dying power in a clenching plastic fist."
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 18:24:55 -0500

On Jun 25, 2006, at 4:15 PM, walt wrote:

Artur Jachacy wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 14:45:11 -0500, David Kelly wrote:
Also note that I said, "localhost" and not 127.0.0.1, as I configured
it as localhost, not by number, altho both should be the same.

Changing the address to 'localhost' helped. Thanks for the tip!

Do you know about the /etc/hosts file?  That is where the mapping
from IP address to host-name occurs (on your local network).

But by-number should bypass name lookup. Come to think of it without looking at Pans's source typical implementations do a DNS lookup first, if that fails tries to interpret the address as a number. Maybe WinXP or something else is faking DNS entries for numbers such as 127.0.0.1 which prevent the number from working?

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden