pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.9x under Mandriva 2006

From: Michael A. Peters
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.9x under Mandriva 2006
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 00:18:49 -0700

On Tue, 2006-05-16 at 11:03 -0700, walt wrote:
> Charles Kerr wrote:
> [...]
> > g_slice_alloc0 was introduced into glib in version 2.10, but those
> > calls are wrapped in checks to see what version of glib you've got...
>
> But the version checking is done at configure time, no?  Does
> the executable have some way of checking at run-time (other than
> complaining about a missing library)?

In theory, the rpm should catch it.
Unfortunately (this is Fedora):

address@hidden i386]$ rpm -qp --requires pan-0.97-2.i386.rpm |grep
glib
libglib-2.0.so.0
address@hidden i386]$ rpm -q glib2
glib2-2.10.2-1.fc5.1
address@hidden i386]$

If glib2 < 2.10 also provides libglib-2.0.so.0 (I'm pretty sure it does)
then rpm won't catch the issue, and if there is a difference, the glib
developers probably should have versioned the shared library to prevent
exactly the problem you have.

I would recommend getting the src.rpm and rebuilding it on your local
machine.