pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Version 0.91 impressions

From: DPA
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Version 0.91 impressions
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 09:12:31 -0400

I suspect that many of the dependencies you are talking about are just to build the application. Since MEPIS is debian based I have a deb that may work for you. This deb was built for Ubuntu (Dapper and Breezy) but I also tried it on Debian Unstable and it worked fine so I suspect it should work for you, if you would like me to email it to you drop me a note off list and I will send it to you. I also sent it to Charles to evaluate so it may become publicly available, but I want to let him make that call first.

Graham wrote:
I am running MEPIS 3.4, a Debian derivative that uses KDE as its desktop. I tried to install Pan 0.91 and found I had so many dependencies from GNOME that I would, in effect be installing a mini GNOME desktop. The .deb file on version 0.14.2 installs fine on my present system.

I appreciate that Pan is designed to be a newsreader for GNOME but it must be the de facto standard newsreader for Linux. Isn't it about time that it was made non-desktop dependent?

Just my tuppenceworth!