pan-users

[Pan-users] UPDATE Re: Weirdness compounded : giganews on one machine bu

From: Beartooth
Subject: [Pan-users] UPDATE Re: Weirdness compounded : giganews on one machine but not another
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 15:52:14 -0500

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 12:41:56 -0500, Beartooth wrote:

> I keep Pan 0.14.2.91 on four machines, with all the settings as near the
> same as I can manage (except that three of them, being backups, aren't
> subscribed to a lot of groups that are on the main one but that I seldom
> look at).
>
> The main one (the same one that seemed to lose my lists of posts to bitrot
> yesterday) connects as usual to news.opera.no, news.grc.com, and
> news.gmane.org -- but not to news.isp.giganews.com. The backup does all
> four.
[....]
> What's wrong, and what do I do about it?
>
> Just on a hunch, what is Pan's cache, and what do I lose if I clear it?
> (Oh, and how? I know there's a way ....)

This poor newsreader is beginning to feel like a car wearing out -- and
badly in need of rest. I closed and reopened it, after fighting it all
day (having noticed that a line about handshake failing had persisted all
that timer in about the third bar from left on the bottom) -- and presto
change-o, it works again.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, PhD Neo-Redneck Linux Convert
FC4; gpsd-2.30-1;gpsdrive 2.10pre2; CXO 5.0.1