pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Could not decode article - file may be corrupt/incom

From: Martijn Otto
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Could not decode article - file may be corrupt/incomplete
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:58:11 +0100

2006/1/23, Duncan <address@hidden>:
> Martijn Otto posted <address@hidden>,
> excerpted below,  on Sun, 22 Jan 2006 15:34:02 +0100:

> > download it using BNR2, the files come in fine. It seems they are just
> > regular yEnc posts, which normally don't give me any trouble with
> > pan.<br>
> > I'm using the CVS version, but the problem occurs in the latest stable
> > version too. An example of a troublesome file can be found in
> > a.b.multimedia.startrek, if you look for files called Voyagers1d4. They
> > ALL give this problem, and they ALL work fine with BNR2.<br>
>
> First, please turn off HTML.  The regulars on many lists (particularly in
> the FLOSS community) consider it akin to sneezing into your hand, then
> offering to shake someone's hand without washing -- it's rude and one way
> to possibly transmit viruses! There's a reason PAN doesn't do HTML; please
> observe it when posting to the PAN list.

Sorry about that.

> I'm not sure how BNR2 works, but does it possibly automatically integrate
> the PAR files when needed to rebuild the post?  If so, that might explain
> it, as PAN doesn't.

It does not, and even if it did, i do not believe that would explain
this behaviour. PAN isn't able to decode any of the articles. The
directory where i decode it to stays completely empty, not even the
PAR files get through.

The problem, as i see it, lies in the decoding of the message. For
some reason, BNR2 is able to decode it, where PAN is not.

> Unfortunately, the named posts have scrolled off the server, here (or got
> caught in my filters), so can't check them.  I'm just using my ISP's
> server, which is rather crappy for multi-part binaries, which I don't do
> much of anyway (and I use klibido for all my binaries, anyway), so it's
> probably the server.

That's strange, they were posted only about three days ago. Maybe
someone else has some insight as to what is going on.